Common Questions - Motoring and Car Tax

In what circumstances do I have to display a tax disc?

Any ‘mechanically propelled’ vehicle when used or kept on a public road must display a valid tax disc.

Are there any exemptions?

The following vehicles are exempt from displaying tax discs:
• Fire engines
• Ambulances
• Some agricultural vehicles
• Some electrically propelled vehicles
• Invalid carriages
• Road construction vehicles
• Vehicles used solely for spreading material to deal with frost, ice and snow.

Vehicles are also exempt ONLY when:
• Going to a test centre for a pre-booked MOT, stipulating the time and date
• On an MOT test
• After failing an MOT test, for the purpose of taking the vehicle to a pre-booked appointment at a garage to have the faults rectified.

Note: Some old vehicles may be classed as vintage vehicles and although they are not exempt from having to display a tax disc, the disc is free of charge.

My car tax is about to expire and I have not received my insurance certificate. The Post Office will not issue me with a new one. Can you make a record that I have rung so I can drive the car until I get a new tax disc?

No, you cannot drive a car without a current tax disc.

My car tax disc ran out last night. Can I drive it for 14 days until I get another one?

No. There is no 14 day 'grace' - you must have a valid road tax disc.

My tax disc has been stolen. What should I do?

You can obtain a form to apply for a duplicate tax disc from a main post office. There is no exemption for driving a motor vehicle on the road because your excise licence has been stolen - in this case an offence of failing to display is committed.