Common Questions - Motoring and Insurance

What if the other driver isn't insured?

If you suffer injury, loss or damage to your property as a result of a road accident, compensation may be payable under insurance arrangements. Where the offender is untraced or uninsured, compensation may be available from the Motor Insurers' Bureau, Linford Wood House, 6-12 Capital Drive, Linford Wood, Milton Milton Keynes MK14 6XT, Tel: 01908 830001, which can consider claims for:

• Personal injury, loss or damage to your property caused by an identified driver who is uninsured. This can include injury, loss or damage caused by an identified driver of a stolen vehicle where the rightful owner is uninsured.
• Personal injury (but not loss or damage to property) caused by an untraced driver.
Motoring - Notifying the insurance company

I have been involved in a collision. Do I have to notify my insurance company?

Most, if not all, insurance policies state that the insured person must notify them of any accident in which they are involved, irrespective of whether or not a claim is to be made or whose fault it was. They will usually send you a motor accident report form to fill in and return.