Common Questions - Motorcycles

What are the restrictions for riding motorcycles?

If you have a provisional motorcycle licence, you must satisfactorily complete a Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) course. You can then ride on the public road, with 'L' plates, for up to three years.

During this time you must pass a motorcycle theory test and then a practical test to obtain your full motorcycle licence, otherwise you will lose your licence for one year.
If you have a full car licence you may ride motorcycles up to 125cc and 11kw power output, with 'L' plates on public roads, but you must first complete a CBT course.

If you have a full moped licence and wish to obtain full motorcycle entitlement you will be required to take a motorcycle theory test if you did not take a separate theory test when you obtained your moped licence. You must then pass a practical motorcycle test.

You MUST NOT carry a pillion passenger or pull a trailer until you have passed your test.