Common Questions - Motoring and Speeding

What is the penalty for speeding?

If you receive a fixed penalty ticket you will pay a £60 fine and have three points on your driving licence. If you go to court you will receive a fine of up to £1,000 plus costs and you could be disqualified from driving or your licence could be endorsed.

Will I have to go to court?

This depends on the speed detected and the status of your driving licence. You will not have to go to court if you have less than nine points on your driving licence, the speed was not excessive and if you hold a current DVLNI licence. You will have to go to court if you were travelling at excessive speed, if you have nine or more points on your driving licence or if you hold a foreign driving licence.

What if it wasn’t me who was driving?

As the registered owner of the car you are required to provide the full name and address of the driver at the time of the alleged offence. Failure to do so could be an offence.

Can I see the photographic evidence?

You can request photographic evidence by post if you are disputing the vehicle was in the area or if you are unsure who was driving at the time of the offence.

I recently sold my car but have still received notification of prosecution. Why?

It is your responsibility as the previous owner to notify the DVLNI of any change in ownership of the vehicle.

What are Fixed Penalty Tickets?

Fixed Penalty Tickets are issued by police officers and traffic wardens.

They are either non-endorsable for offences involving matters such as parking or seat-belts, or endorsable for offences such as speeding or parking on zig-zags.

The back of the ticket explains what action should be taken and where and how to pay the fine.

I have lost the ticket, what should I do?

Send your payment to the Fixed Penalty Office at the magistrates' court which covers the area where the offence was committed. Write your vehicle registration number and the date of the offence on the back of the cheque.

If I cannot pay, what will happen?

The matter may be processed against you and may eventually result in a summons to appear in court.

Can I appeal against the ticket?

You can either pay the fine or take the matter to court. If you feel a fixed penalty ticket has been incorrectly issued to you, you should complete Part Three of the reverse of the ticket and attach a letter of mitigation. The issue of the ticket will be considered and a reply given.

I have been flashed by a speed camera. When will I know if I am going to be prosecuted?

The registered keeper of the vehicle will receive a Notice of Intended Prosecution within 14 days of the alleged offence. If the keeper hears nothing within 14 days it is unlikely to go to court.

The registered keeper is required by law to complete the Notice of Intended Prosecution, giving details of the driver/rider at the time of the alleged offence. The person named will then receive a summons to court.